Period 3, Module 3
- How did political parties show division in George Washington's and John Adams's presidencies?
- To what extent were Washington and Adams effective with the domestic and foreign policy crises that erupted during their presidencies?
- Read your textbook, Chapter 8 (p.237-264)
- Take notes on the major domestic (inside the US) and foreign (outside the US) policy crises of the Washington and Adams presidencies.
- Whiskey Rebellion
- Alien and Sedition Acts
- Jay's Treaty
- XYZ Affair
4. Answer the following question:
- To what extent were Washington and Adams effective in dealing with the domestic and foreign policy crises that erupted during their presidencies?
- Using your textbook again (Chapter 8), research the positions of the Hamiltonians and the Jeffersonians and their plans for America. Focus on the topics of: Supremacy of state or national government, loose versus strict construction of the Constitution, the use of protective tariffs, the national bank, and foreign alliances.
- Write a reflection on which side, the Hamiltonians or Jeffersonians, you believe would have been better for our nation at the time. Use evidence from your notes to develop and support your conclusion and write no more than two pages.